Do you see a constant stream of information on how to improve your golf game?
Like everyone has the latest greatest golf tip or tweak that you should be doing.
The same goes for golf fitness and senior golf fitness.
Everyone has a new go to exercise and workout.
The “new” golf mobility drill. The “new” power drill for golf. The best “new” stretch for golf. The best “new” golf exercises for seniors.
Headline after headline of the “new” way of doing things.
The reality is that there are only so many movement patterns that your body utilizes. There are also only so many joints and so many muscles.
What tends to get lost in all of the awesome “new” ways of doing things is the basics.
Don’t get me wrong you should absolutely always be looking for new ways of doing things. As long as you are looking to improve upon the basics that you are already doing.
In a previous post, we went over the basics on what senior golfers should be looking for in joint mobility. Today’s post will go over the best way for senior golfers to get more flexibility.
The focus of the following stretches
These are the muscles that pull you forward and impact your ability to consistently perform your golf swing.
As we get older we tend to sit down more often and these muscles get tighter and tighter. For golfers over 50, this issue gets magnified due to the loss of range of motion as we age.
The following four exercises are low impact and can be performed anywhere without equipment. They are safe for all ages but specifically designed for those over 50 or more senior golfers.
- Each stretch should be held a minimum of 45 seconds on each side.
- Breathing is very important. Your body will not adjust to the new position if it isn’t able to breathe through it.
- At the end position of the stretch take a breath in through your nose for 4 seconds with an exhale of 6.
- Perform 2 sets of each stretch for each side of your body.
- You can use a door or wall to perform as a substitute.
- The higher you reach the easier the stretch will be.
- Be careful standing up if you are reaching lower on the bar.
- The main difference between doing this is and the golf specific senior warm up is the amount of time you hold it for and the position.
- With these 4 stretches you are holding it for a longer time and in a static position.